over 10 hours of video and audio interviews + over 100 pages of additional interview trascripts with some of my favourite colleagues who have something to say that’s well worth listening to saying about niching
In the fall of 2013, I decided to interview some of my favourite and smartest colleagues to learn their take on niching.
I knew from following their work and personal conversations that each of them had a unique perspective and important piece to add to the conversation. I recorded the conversations on Skype video. I have gathered them all into one place and offer them here to you now.
The Niching Spiral Interview Vault Could be a Fit For You if:
- you’ve been struggling with your niche for years and feel a deep need to understand as much of it as you can
- you’re a business coach who helps people figure out their niche and you want to get as many thoughtful perspectives on it as you can
- you’re intrigued by and wonder about the six questions listed below
- you enjoy learning through watching online video
The Niching Spiral Interview Vault is Likely Not Going to be a Fit For You if:
- you’re easily annoyed with glitches in video. I wish I could say that Skype video interviews had perfect quality but some of these videos have a few glitches and freeze frames.
The Six Questions I Asked Each Expert I Interviewed:
In the lead up to these interviews, there were six questions I was clear I wanted to ask. So, before the interview, I emailed them these six questions and asked them to email me their replies. Those answers, when provided, are listed below each video and were the basis for our conversations.
- Question #1: What do you think is missing in the conversation about niching? What do you see that you think others are not seeing that could help people find their niche?
- Question #2: What’s most important in niching? What’s a distraction?
- Question #3: Can you list three of your favourite examples of successful, niche businesses?
- Question #4: How do people know if they have a good niche? What’s the most important criteria to know if you have a solid niche?
- Question #5: What’s the simplest, most direct and most effective approach to finding your niche?
- Question #6: How do people know if they have a good niche? What’s the most important criteria to know if you have a solid niche?
Why I’m Sharing These Interviews:
Truth be told, I mostly did these interviews for myself.
I interviewed the smartest colleagues I had because I wanted to learn from them to hone my own understanding of niching.
And learn I did! I’ve woven much of what I gleaned from these people into my new book The Niching Nest and my Niching Spiral Homestudy course but I know that we all learn in different ways and that sometimes I’ll hear one person share a concept and I won’t get it at all but then, when I hear it from another person, it’s crystal clear. Sometimes people say it differently and in a way that I can’t replicate.
I didn’t want to assume that my way of talking about niching was going to work for everyone.
A Few of The Things You Will Learn Inside the Niching Spiral Interview Vault:
- the three core elements of any workable, profitable niche
- a number of unique and perspectives on what niching is and isn’t from long time business coaches who regularly work with dozens of clients in the real, and sometimes unforgiving, world of business
- dozens of real life examples of clear niches
- the difference between industry and specialty niching
- the relationship between niche and story telling
- charming stories about: about a man who Pear schnapps in the Austria Alps, a single dad who’s becoming known far and wide, and a man who sells mango llasi’s at the Marin Farmer’s Market
- why the idea that niching means you will no longer get to work with certain people is a myth
- strategies on how to niche without giving yourself a panic attack
- niching perspectives from a doula, permaculturist and a sexologist
- how a simple tool taught in most business schools (but that I’ve never seen taught in any marketing courses I’ve attended) can save you a small fortune and refine your niche better than most tools I know
- the truth about switching your niche multiple times
- a biological understanding of niching in natural ecosystems
- how you can niche not only by target market and what you’re offering but also by selecting one of six emotional markets
- why finding your niche is a very different process from finding your purpose
- the problem with the plug-n-play-a-business-model, repeat-what-works-and-leverage-it school of niching
- why understanding the type of business designer you are can be incredibly helpful in choosing your niche
- Difference between testing and reflecting in niching and why you might be doing too much of one and not enough of the other
What You’ll Get When You Sign Up:
- Over 10 hours of video and audio interviews with people who’ve got something to say that’s worth hearing about niching (each with a breakdown summary of what is covered in each video).
- Over 113 pages of additional interview transcripts
Who Will You Be Learning From In These Interviews?:
Maruxa Murphy – 41 min
Sarah Juliusson (24 min)
George Kao (37 Min)
Abby Kerr of The Voice Bureau (18 min)
number of minute of video in total
The Price: $20
Only $20 because video quality is low on some of these interviews.
I’ll be adding interviews from time to time and you’ll get benefit of those.